Kilmacolm Show was established in 1835 and is a registered Charity.
Since 1835, the Show has only been cancelled on a handful of occasions during the wars and due to foot and mouth disease.
The first known accounts of the show are from 1842 and state that there were 20 classes and that the income for that year was £21.3.0.
Cattle, Sheep and Horses have always been a feature of the show. The Industrial Section was first recorded in the schedule in 1894 and the dog section arrived in 1923. The light horse events have varied over the years; from the 'Trot Race', 'The Leaping Competition' to the more modern classes of Hunters and Jumping. The Clydesdales were a huge feature in the show until the 1950's, when the Internal Combustion Engine made them almost obselete. In 1950 there were 17 Clydesdale Classes; due to a revival in the interest in Clydesdales, there are now 6 classes which are extremely popular with the public and competitors.
In 1985, to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Show, a booklet was printed which outlined the history of the Society and Show. The booklet also contained some wonderful photographs, a selection of which are on this page.
Click on the image above to download a pdf of a booklet.